Friday, September 4, 2009

This is so crazy...


So, Wednesday evening, I was on facebook, just about to sign off when I got a message from this producer buddy I have in Provo. He asked if I would like to sing some background vocals for a David Archuleta Christmas song. Um hello? Yes please. Apparently, Scott (the producer) recommended me to Archuletas people. So, they got on my website and really liked what they heard. Then I got a call on Thursday morning from Archuletas producer to officially ask me to record. Crazy.

The recording session was at 9pm in Salt Lake. I wasn't expecting David Archuleta to be there, but he totally was! There was also this other guy there who was doing background vocals as well.

Jeff Archuleta (David's dad) was the man in charge... And on a side note, I used to totally make fun of him because he is a super stage dad, but HELLO, look where David is today. I actually REALLY liked his dad. He was really helpful and I think we had a connection. haha. no really. we did.

So, I was thinking I would be really nervous and intimidated because DAVID ARCHULETA was there, but he's just a kid. Normal teenager. Well, not so normal, he's totally sheltered and doesn't have a life outside of music. Poor thing just wants to text his friends all day. But just an adorable kid. Super nice and genuinely interested in what you have to say. Kinda femme... but I can say that cause my blog is private and it won't ruin me... but again, just a nice nice adorable kid.

Anyway, back to the story... I went into the recording room with this other guy- in 2 separate rooms- and mind you, we had never heard the song we were about to sing... so I was a little nervous at that point. Then they played the song and the parts that we were supposed to sing. I caught on super fast. Hallelujah. So, we sang the parts probably 5 times and then they told us to hang on. I could see the awkward tension through the glass and thought "holy crap, they hate me. Why is Jeff looking at me like that?" Next thing I know, they walk into the guys room- they must have forgotten to take off my microphone, cause I heard everything they said- and they basically said to him, "this isnt working, we are gonna have to let you go". And by this time, I'm listening through the headphones thinking, oh crap, I'm totally getting fired too. This was such a waste.

Then I walk into the other room after standing there for a good 5 minutes just wondering whats going on. Then Jeff Archie came in and said, "okay we are going to try something different". So, he had me sing the first line to a bunch of Christmas songs. (Did I mention this is for his Christmas album?) I went back into the recording room and sang a bunch of stuff, not really knowing what was going on. But,by this time I was sure that they like me. Cause in situations like this, you just never know.

Jeff Archie was awesome. He was really helpful and I just felt really good being coached by him. He knows exactly what he wants and it was completely flattering that my voice fit the part. Plus, it was nice to know I didn't get canned in the first 5 minutes.

So, overall, it was probably the greatest thing thats happened in a long long time! I couldn't tell you what the name of the song is... or if my part will even be used. But all I know is his Christmas album comes out October 13th. So, just go buy it in case I'm on it. I'm pretty optimistic about it because I know that they wouldn't have kept me there just for kicks.

Basically, it was magical.

16 comments:

Jeannie said...

Juie that is awesome. I love that I have a friend that is some what famous!

Heather said...

That is such a great experience for you and so amazing. Congrats! I can't wait to hear the cd.

Ashlee said...

You rock!

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack & Ashley Waters said...

Basically you're magical and I love your guts. Ok I kinda hate your guts cause I'm jealous.

Peter and Jen Bell said...

That's amazing. I'm so excited for you!

Mike and Adrianne said...

That is so awesome Julie!

Lindsay said...

I am adding you to the list of famous people that I know.

Mahana said...

"kind of femme...but I can say that"...love it. And LOVE that you're finally getting the recognition you deserve. Just so you know, if you ever sing back up vocals for Ne-Yo, I want an autograph. I love him. and have a serious crush...but only when he wears his hats...have you seen him bald. blah. Hurray for Julie!

Unknown said...

This is so awesome Jules...We can say you sang at our wedding...before your were famous! Knew you had the voice then! You are a rockstar! Love you!

Danielle said...

That's awesome!! I love his cheesy little grin, he's so cute!!

Carly said...

Wow! WOW! EFY and now Archuleta? I totally need a new Christmas CD, too. PERFECT. You are such a star, in so many ways.

And congrats on the baby! SHE is going to be adorable, I know it. :-)

Leo and Jill said...

Pretty cool. Congrats to all.

ssh said...

loved catching up! i totally thought archie's pop was stage dad too. props to you on the vocals and congrats on the munchkin the making! when are you coming to chicago to visit?!

Nichelle said...

such a great story teller jules. jeff archie hahaha. you are gonna get there, i just know it and feel it. way to go on being so good that you didn't get fired! i love your voice, and i can't wait to own david archies christmas album

paige said...

well, merry christmas to YOU! that is awesome!

so check THIS story out: a few months ago my dad was with the youth on a temple trip and someone came up to him and asked if a young man could join their group. guess who that young man was...you guessed it David!

Okay, not as amazing as you singing back-up for him, but i had to share.

also, loved your "on my mind" post. girl, we think alike!