Saturday, May 2, 2009

Reflections of Christ update

Beware... I was extrememly distracted writing this post, so it may be a little jumbled.

So, I went to Provo yesterday to meet with the guys. To put it nicely, it was SO not what I expected! It was pretty awful actually. Here's the good part...I went in and sat down and talked with the guys- who were super nice and friendly. They showed me the new pictures that had just been shot in Honduras. The project is Christ in the Americas. Awesome. I thought that they wouldn't be as good as last years, but they totally are. There is this picture of the Savior with the sun behind him that is to die for! I am super lucky to have a sneak peak of these pictures. After some chit chat, we went in to a room with a piano. This is where it got not so great.

The pianist played "Sweet Hour of Prayer" once through, so I could hear it. He is amazing. I however, was not. I started singing and seriously froze. I was so nervous and intimidated for some reason. They probably thought, what the crap? She is not the same person we heard on the cd. Anyway, the piano player played really quietly and reverently and it honestly made me feel irreverent to open my mouth! They knew that I was nervous and were trying so hard to make me feel comfortable. But I just couldn't do it! Plus, if you've ever sang or played the piano before, you know that the piano follows the vocalist. Well, not on this project. He wanted me to follow him. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, but I have just never done that before, so it was awkward for me. All in all, it was a good experience for me, but I would have liked to sing a little better and not feel like I totally wasted their time. They will let me know soon what their decision is. I would be SHOCKED if they chose me. No pity comments please... you weren't there.

I redeemed myself with a 4 hour trip to Ikea. I ate lunch by myself and watched all the miserable mothers trying to control their children. It was great. Gave me a little bit more self confidence.

10 comments:

Burnett Family said...

Sorry you don't feel so hot about the music session:( You're right, the piano should follow you!! Duh!BUT the trip to Ikea with NO kids sounds awesome!!

The Fab Fabian Life said...

That sucks! We can all still hope!! I am just mad you were so close to my house and I did not even get to see you!! I would have eaten lunch with you!!!!!!!

Mahana said...

I'm surprised you only redeemed yourself at Ikea!...expecially since Beaver doesn't seem to have much retail therapy places!

Well love, as a pianist I can sympathize with you because I expect people to follow my lead and most singers aren't use to that...that's why I never lasted as the choir pianist very long! Though i secretly enjoyed embarrassing the show off sopranos. In the end it's a great learning experience...too bad learning experiences have to be so sucky and lame.

Erica said...

Wow! You are hilarious! I bet it wasn't that bad but I can picture it. Those settings are so nerve racking. Crazy that just having time alone like that is so amazing! You never appreciate it until you have kids.

Stacey Bacon said...

I love your new background! Doesn't Ikea rock? We need to exchange phone numbers so when you are up here we can meet up. I know we would get along famously! So basically we have all had those crappy experiences that don't go quite the way we planned...the good news is there are always more opportunities to shine! I hope it turns out the way you want but if not what a great experience huh?

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

Well I am just glad you tried because I would never. I think that would be terribly nerve racking good luck.

Aubrey said...

why didn't you call me!!?? I would of gone with you!...I am always down for Ikea and eating...

Corynn said...

Sorry to hear you sucked. Maybe you'll get lucky.Haha I'm just kidding.

Lillie said...

I love this part of your life. SOOOO foreign to me. I still dream of how perfect my life would be if I could sing. :)

did someone seriously call you fat in a comment once?

How skinny are you looking right now, by the way?

Chase and Nichole said...

Love the untouchable song! I put my baby girl on my lap in front of the computer and played it for her. I think she liked you! She just stared and listened the whole time! It is so weird we used to be roommates and friends and hang out all the time. That seems like a lifetime ago... that apartment was great though. So much drama! I ran into Kiersten at Walmart a while back. She is still a very close talker and I had to keep backing up when she spoke! Ha ha!