Monday- March 22:
I arrived at the hospital at 5:30am to have my baby girl! Everything went great. She was born at 8:40am and is as perfect as can be. The c-section took a little longer than expected because I had so much scar tissue to get through. But she made it out okay. I spent the rest of the day resting, visiting with my girlfriends, and loving my new Mila girl. I was able to get up and walk around and everything was going as it should.
Tuesday- March 23:
Still recovering well. My incision was pretty tender, but nothing out of the ordinary. I spent most of the day feeding the baby, resting, and enjoying my morphine drip. I got a few visitors that day and had some laughs. My doctor and his cute wife came to visit me at about 9:00pm. I was laughing and chatting it up and then all of the sudden I got FREEZING. Like out of control shakes. So, they got me some warm blankets and I was able to calm down. Then, I got the worst headache I've ever had in my life. I felt like my head was going to BLOW off my neck. And, I kinda wished it would have. I've never had a headache like that. So, luckily, my doctor was there. He got me all the pain meds I could possibly imagine. Nothing worked. I spent the rest of the night laying perfectly still because the slightest movement would make my head throb.
Wednesday- March 24:
My headache was equally as bad as it was through the night. We continued the pain pills and it seemed to ease up a bit. We spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what we should do next. Kyle ended up sleeping at home that night because I was starting to feel better.
Thursday- March 25:
Kyle texted me first thing in the morning and asked how I was. I said I needed him to come back. He walked in the door and I burst into tears. I couldn't help it. And I'm not a cryer. I consider myself to be pretty tough. But, my head was in so much pain. Even worse than the first day. The doctors came in and decided that I probably had a spinal headache caused from the spinal epidural. I ended up getting a blood patch to fix it. They said I should feel better almost immediately. No such luck. After about 2 hours my headache was back and in full effect. So, now the process of elimination began. The doctors next conclusion was to do a spinal tap to check my spinal fluid for infection. WORST THING EVER! A spinal tap is as bad as it sounds. Meanwhile, we decided that I needed an MRI to check everything out. So I took my first ride in an ambulance to Cedar and got an MRI. By the time we got back to Beaver, my spinal tap results were in. You are supposed to have a white blood cell count of zero - 2. Mine was 1900. My doctor came in and told me that I have spinal meningitis and that I needed to go to the University of Utah hospital to be treated. I thought I was dying. I mean, SPINAL MENINGITIS?? People die from that. So, I was in tears thinking of how I was going to leave my brand new baby and boys and go to a strange hospital for who knows how long. So I said goodbye to my baby and headed out. Kyle drove the truck behind the ambulance and my kids were in good hands with both sets of grandparents. My mom took Mila and Kyle's parents took my boys. Off we went.
Friday- March 26:
I woke up in a new hospital with the unknown. I knew I was going to be experimented on, but could never imagine the crap I was about to go through. The first painful thing I did was get a PICC line. Google it. Its disgusting. It hurt like hell, but its pretty convenient because I wouldn't have to get poked again. They can draw blood from this new thingy. Which by the way- I think I got poked 17 times the day before, so this PICC line sounded like a good idea to me. Luckily my angel friend Kate, came to visit me bringing all the things I might need for my stay in hell. I'm telling you, Kate is a lifesaver. (Thank you kate, I love you!) Then I got another MRI. It lasted 2 hours! I had to stop them in the middle because I had to pee so bad. They pumped me full of so much fluid that I literally peed every 20 minutes. Anyway, the MRI was awful. Sitting flat and still for 2 hours after you've had a c-section isn't pleasant. It's also not pleasant to lay in a machine where it sounds like someone put a garbage can over your head and drummed away. Really great for treating a headache.
Saturday- March 27:
After being on antibiotics for 24 hours, my headaches were going away. I spent my time talking with the Neuro doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me. They found spots on my brain through the MRI and needed to connect that with the spinal meningitis. It could have been signs of stroke, or bacteria pockets that seeped through a hole in my heart. So, test after test, ultrasound after ultrasound, we tried everything we could to figure out how the spots got there.
Sunday- March 28:
The Neuro doctors decided that I needed one more test to determine whether there was hole in my heart. They scheduled the test for Monday morning and if everything went well, I could go home. I spent the rest of the day going on wheelchair rides with my hubby. Who by the way, is the best husband ever. That evening, I got the greatest news ever. After getting another spinal tap, my white blood cell count had gone down from 1900 to 40!!! Still a ways to go, but the antibiotics are working and they are working fast.
Monday- March 29:
After some minor tests, I went in for my big one to determine if there is a hole in my heart. They gave me this NASTY and I mean NASTY stuff to swallow to numb my throat. Apparently it tastes like Moonshine. Whatever. It was sick. Then they sedated me and shoved a camera down my throat. Had a looksie and figured out that there was no hole!!! Greatest news ever. I showered, packed up and got the hell out of there. Off to see my babies!!!
When I got home, I couldn't believe how big Roman was. He was like a giant. And Mila looked a little different. And Gavin was the man of the house. I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to thank my mom for holding down the fort while we were gone. I never worried about my kids once because I knew they were in good hands. Thank you Mom. I love you more than you know.
So, now that I'm home, I'm still on antibiotics until Sunday. Kyle is my personal nurse and gives me my meds twice a day. My incision is the least of my problems. I'm getting around pretty great. My pain is minimal and hopefully the headaches will be permanently gone within a couple of weeks. So, pretty crazy that I got spinal meningitis from my epidural. That pretty much makes my mind up of whether or not we are done having kids. So for now, I'm hibernating in my warm house with my new beautiful baby girl and adorable boys and I couldn't be happier. SO GLAD TO BE HOME!!!... and alive.
Thank you all for your prayers and support. I could definately feel your prayers and that is what saved me. This post was a bit graphic, but doesn't sound anywhere near as horrible as it was. I would never wish what I went through on anyone.
Here are some pictures of my Mila girl. I think I looked at these pictures 3 times a day while I was away. They saved me.
31 comments:
Soooooo glad you are home and doing better. Such an uncool thing to have to go through. Mila is adorable and we can't wait to see you!
JULIE!! I can't believe all that you have been going through!! You are a trouper!! Mila is a doll!!! BEUATIFUL and I LOVE her name! I ma sure you kids are so happy to have you home...as well as Kyle. Hope you recover quickly!!
Wow. Sounds even more crazy when you recap it like that. You're amazing little sis. So glad your home and safe with little Mila and the boys. Love you.
Very happy to hear you are doing better! I can't imagine everything you had to suffer through! Mila is simply perfect and I'm sure you're enjoying every minute with those 3 cute kiddos of yours at home!
I am so glad you are home and okay. I heard you were in SL from my mom. I think Mila is darling can't wait to see her in person.
Oh Jul, we have all been so sick and worried about you. So happy to see a post and know that you are at home with sweet baby in your arms. You are amazing.
She is so darling! I am glad you are doing better. It was nice to talk to you last night.
Glad you are better! Roman does look like a giant! I love that Mila has black hair and your boys had blond when they were born. She is super cute. Can not wait to meet her.
That's great you're doing better. I'm happy Kate and I were able to come see you.
Glad to hear you're doing better! We were all so worried! Love you Julz!
those pics are so sweet. we are so glad you are doing well. call us when the dust settles :)
Oh my gosh!! I'm so sorry! I'm still not sure if we'll have one more, but if we do--no epidural for me!:) I know what you mean about MRI's, they are so loud and annoying, but I never had one for 2 hours, geez, I'm so glad you're o.k, the world would be much more sad without you:)
Glad to see you're back home where you belong. Mila is gorgeous, enjoy every second with her!
I'm so glad you're home with your girlie! SHE IS GORGEOUS! What a horrible thing to go through... my heart just hurt for you...for the stupid sickness and for not being able to be with your new baby. ugh! I'm so happy you guys are all back together. Just lock your door and snuggle with those kiddies all day. :)
Yikes Julie. Glad to finally get the whole story though. Mila is beautiful - I love her dark hair!!!
Frick frick frick girl! Insanity! I'm glad they've got you on the mend though. Mila is simply adorable. I literally squealed with delight when i saw your post that she was born. Wish I could have been around to help. Hugs and many kisses to Mila. Love her.
I am so sad you went through that! There are not many things worse then being separated from your newborn. I'm glad you are on the mend!
Love you! Miss you! So glad you are home! Mila is YUMMY!
Ok, wow, what a story. We now have something very rare in common. When I was pregnant with Kennedy I got spinal meningitis too. I know how much your headache was hurting and it makes me cry for the pain you were in just thinking about it. You are so right, a spinal tap is the worst thing ever!!
I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that and I' so glad you are better. You have a beautiful family!! Lots of love.
talk about give me a freakin heart attack! i was so scared for you and your sweet little family. reading this post makes me cry and like you i am not a cryer. im so glad your home safe and sound. mila is so cute! and i love the hair and everything else about her. she is going to be a strong/cute/very talented girl just like her momma.
oh my gosh julie... so scary. i'm pretty sure you just convinced me never to another kid! im glad you are doing well. i wish i knew you were up here! i could have brought you delicious maverick sodas. they are the best! your little mila is adorable!
Oh MY Julie!! I'm so SO sorry you had to go through such awfulness! I'm so glad you are feeling better - and that you are finally home! Your little MILA is absolutely GORGEOUS! Your boys are HUGE, and I seriously want to squeeze them! Miss you and love you guys so much!
XOXO!!
What!!! I had no idea this was going on. I don't get out much obviously. I'm so glad you are home! And you are right, Mila is beautiful!!!
Holy crap, that's horrible! I'm so glad you are home and getting better.
I am in shock! So sorry to hear what you had to go through. I can't even imagine what you were feeling. I'm so glad you are alright. Your little girl is darling.
I am so sorry to hear all that you've gone through. Thank heavens your back home with your family. Mila is a doll!!
Oh my gosh! I wish I would have known- I would have done anything for you up here in SL!! You poor girl! I had a spinal headache and that was bad enough-- I cannot imagine! I am so glad you are home and doing well, I thought it was strange you had not posted!
scary. glad you are home and feeling better. my sister-in-law had to hav a picc line the entire 9 months she was pregnant. gross. mila's beautiful! my life is nearly not as exciting as ambulance rides and c-sections....i'm blogging about shoes these days. hahaha.
I just want you to know how much I love you JULES AND kYLE. Thanks for the trust you had in me to watch baby girl Mila for a few days. I wanted to be be with you in SLC but I also knew that staying at your home was the best for Mila. I wished all the time that I could have taken the pain away Jules. You are my baby girl always and I love you all: Kyle, Gavin, Roman and Mila. Miss you, MOM
I know I'm late, but holy crap I had know idea you went through all that. I'm so sorry. Reagan works up there I wish we would've known. So glad your good now.
Post a Comment