First off, if you haven't already, please read my previous post and then read the comment by my bestie Ryan Smart. He is amazing and if he is your friend, you are lucky. And because of him, I've decided not to dye my hair red.
Second. I had an experience at church yesterday that was either an eye opener, or a slap in the face. I can't decide which one yet.
I was sitting in Sacrament with Gavin. Only Gavin. (Kyle stayed home with the baby doll and Roman wandered off to sit with my in-laws.) And in our ward newsletter, the last page was a fun little questionaire that you were supposed to fill out as a family, just for fun. There were questions like, what is the strangest thing you've ever eaten? Or, if you could invite a famous person to dinner, who would it be? (A Kardashian, duh!)... kidding, kind of.
But, the last question was "If your friends went to a movie that you didn't want to see, what would you do?" And Gavin took a minute and thought really hard about this question. All these thoughts were running through my head about how profound his answer would be. Then, Gavin looked up at me and said, "I don't know. Probably just go with them, I guess."............ FAIL. Totally not the answer I wanted, or expected out of Gavin.
Then, a good friend of mine got up and bore her testimony. It was FANTASTIC. She said something that I will never forget. She said, "I worked really hard for my testimony." ...
After hearing that, I realized how different people are. There are some who have a testimony that was simply rooted in them. It's not that they didn't work for it, but they just don't have to work as hard to believe. It just comes naturally. Others have to struggle and fight inner battles in order to grow. And, don't get me wrong. I believe you can be a part of both. Like myself. I have a strong testimony that I was just born with. But I have also worked really hard to strengthen it and keep it. And, after hearing my friend say it that way, I understood how precious her testimony was to her, and how hard she worked to get it.
My next thought was, how can I get my kids to have a strong testimony? I believe that some people are naturally born leaders. You know, the strong, type A personalities. I haven't decided with Roman yet, but I'm pretty sure if his friends jumped off a cliff, he would jump higher and further than all of his friends, just to prove he could. But Gavin, I KNOW was born a leader. Now, its up to me to teach him to use that for good. How can I teach him to be self assured enough to make good decisions WITH, and FOR his friends? Because, we all know that friends are pretty much the determining factor of your kids living the gospel, or smoking weed. I'm pretty sure there is no real answer to my questions, other than to raise your kids in the gospel and hope for the best. But sometimes, just hoping is scary.
My parents raised 3 stubborn and strong willed children. Yet, somehow, we overall made all the right decisions that landed us all with strong testimonies. But as stubborn as we all are, there is a mercy that comes through the gospel. There is a time and a place to be a strong willed leader, but even the strong willed need to be followers of Christ.
If I can teach this to my kids, I think they will be just fine. But for right now, I need to have a chat with Gavin about going to movies with friends.
8 comments:
I like this post my friend and I am glad you made it public. It's funny because I teach CTR 4 and I was just telling Erica that I can see so much in these kids and I can tell which ones (most likely) will not have problems with their testimony in the future and which ones will...they are 4. I told Erica that I want to tell their parents (which I wouldn't) to be so cautious with their kids. They will have questions and struggles and it's okay. Just open the right dialogue and let your kids have opportunities to talk and struggle with you. I think you have to always let them know what's right, but still let them learn and fail. You're a good mom-keep it up. The key to all of it is communication. If they have opportunities to talk to you without feeling judgement I think they'll always come back.
Wow, another great post Jules. I believe that kids follow their parents more than any friends. I know that friends are important but a great relationship with your parents lasts forever. I do believe that Gavin is a leader and he knows people will follow him. Don't count Roman out as a leader. He will, in time, realize his ideas are very important and I love how he speaks the truth. Mila will hopefully be like you, her precious mom, and will always be a leader, a strong person and love life. Love you Jules, MOM
Hmm, deep thoughts. It is a scary thing, being a parent. It's alot of pressure. I have to say, in Roman's defense, that the question is slightly misleading. It doesn't really say it was a BAD movie they were seeing. Like, if all of my friends wanted to go see Rango I wouldn't want to but I would probably still go because they wanted to. I bet he would say he wouldn't go to a bad movie:)
Red highlights instead?? :)
oh my goodness, these are the thoughts that run through my head all day and all night long. the scariest part is that there is no universal answer. every kid just takes the exact same experience with parents in a completely different way from his or her siblings. so one way or another you're bound to be a failure of a parent with at least one kid. i have no advice because i am the one in need of advice all the time
congrats on the gig! i wish i could come see you. what day in april?
Great posts Jules, as always. Congrats on the singing/concert, you'll be awesome.
Have I ever told you my "a testimony is like a symphony" theory? Maybe when we see you in a few days.
Here are my thoughts. Not that I have any evidence to say that this works, so take it with a grain of salt, but here are my thoughts.
1. Parents need to be the best example in all areas (Mom mentioned the influence of parents as more important than friends, which I agree with). Parents also need to be strict enough with their kids to expect the best from them, but loving enough to where the kids will want to confide in them.
2. Do all of the little things with your kids (family/personal scripture study, prayer, FHE, church meetings/activities attendence)
3. Jump at every service opportunity and take kids with you to do the service
4. Talk to kids about specific situations (like the one you mentioned in your post) and how they would respond
Of course, even if parents do everything prefectly, there is no guaranty that kids will stay on the right track. Each kid gets to choose his/her own path. But at least you will be teaching them the right to counterbalance the wrong that they will be taught every day outside of the home.
Probably more than you asked for, but you asked a good question
WOW WOW WOW.. I love your new blog.. it is awesome...impressed by such deep thinking..keep up the good work..and your friend ryan is totally awesome and cracks me up! talk to you tomorrow.. lets go enjoy the highlight of our day and get a drink... yipee
Post a Comment